Sunday, December 18, 2011

Kimono Challenge Tag #11 My Kimono Collection

Hello Everyone, 


Oh I remember the times when I still only had THREE kimono. I was so proud of myself for buying my very FIRST kimono on my own, only to figure out couple of years later that it was too small for me. And that I don't even like it that much. But the blissful days of a small kimono collection did not last that long, and pretty soon my collection just exploded (the link will take you to my Photobucket account, where I actually organize all my kimono stuff! Sub-albums are at the bottom right). 


Kimono


After several years of collecting and wearing kimono I've finally figured out my style, and that I really like stripes. Now I have more striped kimono than any other designs. I also love pretty much anything geometric and non-seasonal, as well as stylized flowers patterns (especially roses, poppies, ume and sunflowers). I tend to stay away from realistic flowers, many imaginary flowers in kimono, and very busy designs. For some reason I love "random" patterns too, like jars. I have a jar kimono and obi, and since them I've been on a lookout for more items like that. 
















My absolutely favorite pattern is ane-sama ningyo, which means something like "big sister". At first I thought that this pattern was kokeshi, but turned out it's not. Which is good, because I don't really care for the ACTUAL kokeshi! Here you can see some of the items with this design that I've collected, but I'm always on lookout for more. 







Obi


I'm a little more "lenient" when it comes to obi, because they are smaller and I feel like I can get away with crazy busy patterns, or any other patterns that I most likely will not wear in kimono. I still like the stripes, and geometric, but I also don't mind more "traditional" designs of flowers. I love realistic and abstract designs, as well as very simple and more "plain" obi. Many of my "star" obi turned out to be "rejects" from the auctions (where no one else bid on them) because of whatever reason (could be bad photos, or "scary" colors, who knows?). 





This looks like a watercolor painting! I was in love! 

















Accessories and Everything Else


I like to go FUNKY with the accessories. My favorite ones are tabi and obiage, and I can never get enough of them. I have to admit that I'm a tabi snob, and I absolutely HATE stretch tabi. I have them, but they sit un-loved in my drawers, while I give all of my attention to the traditional clasp tabi. I've even thought of learning how to make my own, and plan on actually doing it after my exams are over. 













I also love different haneri, even if I HATE sewing them on! I've made several of my own, and I love how haneri can be made from anything. 





My other "quirk" is collection the dressing accessories. I don't know what it is, but I just love having whole bunch of them, even if I only use just a small portion while dressing. It does come very handy when I have to dress other people though. 







So how does YOUR collection look like? Send me a link in the comments, I love checking out other people's stuff! :) 


~ Lyuba


1. How did you discover and got into kimono? 
2. Your dearest kimono item(s).
3. Your most used kimono item(s) (not counting jubans, datejimes etc.).
4. Your least used kimono item(s).

5. Your favourite coordination(s) so far.
6. What do you like and don't like about kimono. 
7. Kimono confessions. Did you know that... 
8. Your dream kitsuke items (or at least items you really really want but can't get for whatever reason).
9. Your biggest kimono fears. 
10. Your biggest kimono inspiration. 
11. Your kimono collection. 
12. The evolution of your kitsuke.

13. Your special kimono memory. 

1 comment:

  1. http://siren10101.deviantart.com/gallery/26910408 since i havn't uploaded everything into my collection folder ^^

    ReplyDelete