Monday, January 16, 2012

Cambridge in Kimono January 2012

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I went to Cambridge with my husband and friends. We didn't do much, other than walking around and enjoying the nice crisp weather. One good thing about UK is the weather, which most of the time is perfect for kimono wearing! I'm dreading the time when we get back to US and get something like.... NEW MEXICO or VEGAS! (Ok, maybe not, and I'm thinking the worst case scenario, but I really don't want to go to a place where it's HOT all the time).


The central element of this coordination was my reversible nagoya tsuke obi. I wore the bunny side not long ago, so yesterday I wanted to wear the Union Jack side. Originally I was going to pair it up with a different kimono, but, as it turned out, the juban sleeves were too long and so instead of changing the juban, I changed the kimono! :)

This vintage blue kimono is interesting because the lining of the sleeves is red, but lining at the bottom of kimono is yellow. Talk about fun. In order to play up the lining color at the bottom, I choose a mustard yellow obiage. The obijime are pretty plain, one is light pink, and another is off-white, but they are the ones I use when I want to put an obidome-brooch on, because once crisscrossed, they hold the brooch pretty well in place. I wish this shot was taken from the other side, because this obiage has some gorgeous embroidery, but it's not visible in this shot.


I also wore my favorite red boots which matched my new red gloves perfectly. I could have worn a red hat too (and I only have like 5 of them, if not more), but I felt that blue will be a better choice. The only thing I didn't want to really think about was the haneri, because I kept the same one. Maybe it could be better, but it also mean that I would need to sew on a new one. I kinda like this haneri, and want to wear it some more before I change it, so for now it will match everything, because I said so! :)


We came across this cute sofa in one of the dressing rooms, so of course I had to take photos! :)


My faithful pink Harajuku Lovers bag, which goes with me everywhere, because it has kimono girls on it! I don't even care if the color doesn't match. Kimono girls design matches EVERYTHING!






EPIC kimono shot! :)




I'm thinking I'll wear this obi again, with the kimono I originally intended to wear it, before sending it off to Florida. What do you think?

~ Lyuba

P.S. If you want to see all the photos from the day, like my Facebook page. I will be posting all of my kimono photos there from now on.

10 comments:

  1. Awesome collection of pictures, love the kimono, love Cambridge. Thanks Lyuba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Obi. I've been lusting after a union jack obi since I saw one in Kimono Hime. It's a bit different than the one you have. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get yours?

    PS, did anyone give you lip for wearing the flag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I also wanted a Union Jack obi after I saw it in Kimono Hime, but since there is no way I could afford that obi, I've decided to make my own. It's a reversible nagoya tsuke obi, made from cotton.

      Actually no one said anything at all. Several people commented on my outfit in general, but I guess they just figured it's normal to wear Union Jack while in UK ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten you live close to Cambridge! My brother studies there now, and I've been there alot in the past two years :) Was actually there for Christmas hahaha...

    Love love LOVE your outfit!! That Union Jack obi is the best! ^_^ And everything matches so perfectly too! :D I think that cameo obidome really gives the outfit a vintage-y feel and ties in the obiage with the reds in the outfit. *two thumbs up!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're in Cambridge, you should let me know and we'll meet up. I'll get Hong to come over too :) I'm in UK for the last year.. can't believe that time flies so fast!

      Delete
  5. Union Jack obi is so cool! And, as you say, the English weather is just perfect for kimono :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm sure Japanese weather is even better! :)

      Delete