Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Kitsuke

Hello Everyone,

I have to tell you that I REALLY wanted to wear kimono today, because how many times do you get to do anything on February 29th?! Not often enough! I didn't think I would have time to put it on before going to class because my day kinda went downhill right before class, but at the end I thought if I don't wear kimono, I will regret it a lot and so I've made time!


My best friend from Florida sent me this kimono few weeks ago, but I didn't get a chance to wear it until today. Let's just say that it was love at first sight for me, so she knows me TOO well :) And since today was the last day of February, so the last day to wear ume, right? Even if not, to me it feels like it's the last day, since it got so warm here in the last week. I'm ready to get into full spring mode people! :)

Originally I was going to wear a totally different obi with this outfit, but it turned out unwearable :( because it had a big dirt stain (or something) that I thought would be hidden when worn... but it wasn't :( So I choose this obi as Plan B, although if I had more time to actually think of anything, I would have probably picked something different. At first I thought that red obiage will match, since I was wearing my red haneri and red tabi, but it looked wrong to me, so I changed it. The other obiage I picked looks better, but still not good enough in my opinion. Either way, I'm just happy that I got to wear kimono on the Leap Day, and I've decided to not worry about accessories too much. I would change the obijime too, I think a darker obijime and lighter obiage would balance this outfit out nicely.


Before
After

You too can power walk in kimono! 
Did you do anything special today?

~ Lyuba

P.S. DID you notice that I've went TRADITIONAL for this outfit?! :)

2 comments:

  1. From today's spring in Japan according to schedule XD
    So Ume of your kimono is a good time ^ ^ usually you wear casual kimono, and it looks less casual today, also I like your accessories celection ^ ^ You look very red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know :) Yes, this kimono is more formal than my usual one, I think it's homongi (or tsukesage, but often I have a hard time telling the difference). Red is my favorite color :)

      Delete