Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Won't Miss #7: road and TV tax


I didn't even know that TV tax existed until I came to the UK and was suddenly required to pay it. Yes, you're reading it right - in order to watch TV in the UK, you have to pay a special TV tax. You can't even dodge it by saying that you don't watch TV, because if you watch any TV programs on your computer, it counts too. 

In addition to the TV tax, there is also a road tax that everyone has to pay. We have two cars, so we have to pay the road tax on both cars. That's in addition to insurance and yearly MOTs (inspections). The amount you pay based on the engine size and CO2 emissions or whatever else, so my husband pays less for his since his is a compact car. Mine is not, meaning that you can actually sit comfortably in the backseat for extended periods of time (just ask Hong), so I pay more. 

All together we pay about £500 extra a year for all these taxes. Of course now I should say "paid" as we will be leaving in July, but I still will not miss the extra expense of paying for these taxes. 

P.S. An no, having one car was not an option. As I've talked before, I live in the middle of nowhere with no public transport. I also can't just drop off my husband at his work, as I'm not even allowed to drive where he works. 

3 comments:

  1. It's the same with Finland. You have to pay taxes for watching TV. This year they made it so that EVERYONE has to pay it, even the people belonging to small religious groups that don't watch TV as a part of their religion. And it's the same with car taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the European thing then. Either way, I won't miss that lol! As far as I know, US doesn't charge TV tax... unless something changed in 4 years that I was gone.

      Delete
  2. You only have to pay it if you watch 'live' TV. So basically if you watch something on iplayer for example after its broadcast then its fine.

    ReplyDelete